How do you start your HR planning?
Where do you usually base your HR plans and programs to make it really scientific and justifiable? How sure are you that you have accurately identified the real needs of your constituents? Here is one of the most effective OD diagnostic tools today that can keep your department always aligned with your own organizational needs. The Organizational Climate survey.
WHAT IS AN ORGANIZATIONAL CLIMATE SURVEY?
OCS is an OD* diagnostic tool designed to measure the perceptions, feelings and expectations that people have about their employer and the the place where they work.
The tool's objective is to gather a body opinon from individual employee responses on their perceptions and feelings about the effectiveness of their individual work groups and the whole organization in terms of 12 general dimensions.
MEANING OF "CLIMATE"
In the OD parlance, "climate" means the general mood or psychological atmosphere and the effects on people's morale and productivity by factors such as personnel policies, procedures, interpersonal relations, labor-management issues, management strategies etc.
This survey will yield scores reflecting the perceptions of employees on 12 dimensions of "climate" in the organization.
1. Clarity of goals
2. Job interest and challenge
3. Rewards and satisfaction
4. Standards of excellence
5. Degree of responsibility
6. Personal development
7. Working relationships
8. Advancement/ mobility
9. Departmental Management credibility
10. Job security
11. Personnel policies and procedures
2. Follow-up interview with select key personnel
3. Statistical Analysis
1. Since th e survey will serve as a tool to allow people to voice their opinion, members will feel that your organization is indeed serious about "listening" to them. It can develop a climate of openness and trust because it sends the message, "We do care for you."
2. HR programs will be able to address immediately the vital few and and not the trivial many. It will avoid the costly "hit and miss" approach. Some HR programs are only based on superior's impressions or observation. With the OCS, your HR programs will be a sure hit.
3. Since your HR programs will become really aligned, that will add up to your departmental milestones and it will further enhance your credibility as a manager. 4. Ultimately, you will be saving your company a lot of money by implementing only the OCS-identified programs cost-effectively.